Tuesday, January 29, 2013

It's 2013!

Howdy Ya'll

So it's another year, another transfer, and another companion. My companion is Elder Jones from Newton Utah so basically Logan. He is nuts. We are very different in every sense of the word different. His hobbies are pretty much everything that aren't my hobbies and my hobbies are pretty much everything that aren't his hobbies. He is just a really interesting guy and this transfer could get pretty interesting with him. He's also not in the best biking shape and sometimes needs to walk up the hills. But he is my companion nonetheless and will remain so for at least 6 weeks. I think as long as we are completely focused on our purpose all the time we should do some pretty good work together but if not I don't know how it'll turn out. I hope and pray for the best, that's for sure. It has also been interesting being the only one who knows the area at all. Even though I am the junior companion in this companionship I have totally felt like the senior companion this week since I have been making all of the plans and whatnot and I know who lives where and stuff. This very well could be the most stressful week I've ever had in my life because I am just not very good at making decisions and planning stuff but it will be ok. The Lord will help me and the Lord will help Elder Jones and the people whom we are serving. That's what it's all about. I will admit that I was pretty sad to see Elder Jacobs leave. He is now Troy. Not Elder Jacobs anymore and he is now attending UVU. Today is actually his first day of school so that is nuts. He really jumped back into life. That's for sure.

Anyway, I was pumped to see those pictures of your sweet snowman. What was his name? I wish I could've made a sweet snowman too. That would have been for the best but our snow melted like 2 hours after we took our jump for joy in the snow pics. It's all fine and dandy though because I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to bike in the snow. I haven't every really tried that out before. It's getting cold though. Last night it was like 12 degrees and we didn't have a member out with us so we were freezing but it's all good. My sweaters, coats, gator, and gloves are keeping me warm! Dad had a sweet scruffy look going on there! Someday I will be able to pull off a sweet scruffy look like that but I probably won't be as buff as dad so it won't be quite as cool. All those pics made me way happy to see. My one request that I have at the moment is for ya'll to send me pictures because the only pictures I've got are those 3 family pictures you sent me a couple months ago, a picture with a member in our ward, and the Bruneel's Christmas card. Every other missionary has like 89078689879 pictures. So that is my only request at the present time.

This week was crazy though. And like I said it was probably the most stressful week of my entire life. It was hard. This week I've relied on the Lord probably more than any other time of my life and I have received help and strength for sure. One of the many blessings we received was a solid new investigator. She was a referral from missionaries in another ward in our district and we went over to her house about a week ago and she said she was definitely curious and looking for answers in her life. we told her that we believe we had solid answers to her questions (like where there are so many different churches and why they teach way different things). So, later that week we went over and we taught her about the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It was boss. The spirit was mega strong and after we related Joseph Smith's first vision we asked her how she felt. She said she felt something different. Something happy that she'd never really felt like that before. We told her that that was the spirit and that she could have that feeling all of the time if she is baptized and confirmed by someone who holds the Priesthood authority from God. She agreed to baptism on Feb. 2nd and we hope that she will make it. We also invited her to read from the BoM to know if what we taught her is true and she said that she would start reading it as soon as we left and she did! It's so awesome to see people excited about this message we share. The only disappointing thing is that she didn't come to church. Actually, none of our investigators came to church so that was a major bummer but that's all right. We'll get them there next week.

Malachi is not really progressing. He still won't read and pray about the BoM and I don't think he really understands the importance of it. That's disappointing. We have tried really hard for him to understand all of this and it's just not coming. It will come in time though. Also, we weren't able to talk to shariy a whole lot about marriage either and that was a bummer. Geno was never there and we need to sit them down and tell them what's up and what needs to happen. I hope they will both understand that this is what God wants them to do when we sit them down and talk to them about it this week. We probably will tomorrow night so hopefully that goes well.

Anyway, we've got to get going but I'd just like to bear my testimony to you all. I know that the Lord lives. If we turn to Him and pray for strength the Atonement can lift burdens in our lives. I have come to realize that this week more than any other week in my entire life. God lives and He loves us and that is why He sent His son Jesus Christ so that we don't have to go through life utterly alone and lost. This is the greatest truth that anyone can come to know of. I love all ya'll and am so grateful for your support through your prayers and letters. Ya'll are awesome.

Peace and Love,
Elder Black


No comments:

Post a Comment